USMNT against Serbia
January 25, 2023
BMO Stadium; Los Angeles, California
Kickoff: 10:07 PM ET on HBO Max, UNIVERSO, Peacock & Telemundo App
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; US Soccer on Facebook, the US Soccer app
Tonight’s USMNT starting eleven vs. Serbia: 24-Gaga Slonina, 2-Julian Gressel, 3-Walker Zimmerman (capt.), 5-Jonathan Gómez, 8-Brandon Vazquez, 10-Paxton Pomykal, 14-Alan Soñora, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Cade Cowell, 21 – Aidan Morris, 22 – Jalen Neal
Replacements: 1-Sean Johnson, 4-DeJuan Jones 6-Paxten Aaronson, 7-Paul Arriola, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Emmanuel Sabbi, 12-John Tolkin, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 15-Aaron Long, 16-Sam Rogers , 19-Eryk Williamson, 23-Kellyn Acosta
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SERBIA
- USMNT starting eleven Cap numbers (including this game): Walker Zimmerman (38), Cade Cowell (2), Jonathan Gómez (2), Paxton Pomykal (2), Julian Gressel (1), Aidan Morris (1), Jalen Neal ( 1), Gaga Slonina (1), Alan Soñora (1), Brandon Vazquez (1), Alex Zendejas (1)
- Today’s USMNT Starting XI has an average age of 23 years, 18 days and an average of four total caps.
- Nine of the 11 starters are 24 or younger: Alan Soñora, Brandon Vazquez and Alex Zendejas (24); Paxton Pomykal (23); Aidan Morris (21), Cade Cowell, Jonathan Gomez and Jalen Neal (19); Gaga Slonina (18).
- Seven starters make their senior team debuts—most first caps in a USMNT starting eleven since nine players debuted in a friendly against Guatemala on January 10, 1988.
- At 18 years, 255 days, Gaga Slonina becomes the youngest goaltender to play for the USMNT, defeating Tony Meola who made his debut at 19 years, 106 days on June 7, 1988 vs. Ecuador.
- Two of the three capped starters earned their USMNT debuts at Dignity Health Sports Park. Both Cade Cowell and Jonathan Gómez came off the bench to help the US to a 1-0 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina on December 18, 2021.
- Seven starters have dual citizenship: Cowell, Gómez, Vazquez and Zendejas (US and Mexico); Gressel (US and Germany), Soñora (US and Argentina), Slonina (US and Poland)
- The only World Cup veteran in the starting eleven, center back Walker Zimmerman, is captain of the USMNT for the seventh time tonight.
- Three starters are internationally established: Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG) Jonathan Gómez (Real Sociedad/ESP) and Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX). Midfielder Alan Soñora last played for the Argentinian Independiente, but is currently not associated with any club.
- The seven remaining players are based in MLS: Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati ) and Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC).
- Born in Ciudad Juarez, Alex Zendejas succeeds Martin Vasquez and William Yarbrough as the third Mexican-born player to represent the USMNT during the team’s modern era (1990–present). Zendejas now calls El Paso, Texas, his hometown.
- If Paxten Aaronson came off the bench tonight, he and older brother Brenden Aaronson would become the eighth set of brothers to earn appearances for the USMNT and the first pair to do so since Pedro and John DeBrito, who debuted in 1983 and 1991. respectively.
- With the USMNT dressing 23 players tonight, goaltender Roman Celentano is a healthy scratch on the gameday squad. Six substitutions are allowed at six different times. Rest does not count as a changeover moment.
- The USMNT is 0-2-1 all-time against Serbia. The teams last drew 0–0 on January 29, 2017 in San Diego.
- Daneon Parchment from Jamaica is the referee for today’s game. He previously led the 1-1 draw with Chile on March 26, 2019 in Houston, the 2-0 loss against Canada in the Concacaf Nations League game on October 15, 2019 in Toronto and the 2-1 win against Costa Rica in the World Cup. Qualifying on October 13, 2021 in Columbus.